Sunday, November 6, 2011

Perfect Couch, a Sunday Afternoon Story

We live in a tri level house, with out living room on the lower level. This means it is half submerged beneath the earth and is slightly cooler then the rest of the house. It would not be a surprise, we're you to walk into this room, to find a couple blankets on the furniture. Probably the Mickey Mouse fleece, my wife's favorite and the Bright green fleece, which is mine. This room also tends to be a little darker the rest of the house.

There is something about this space that has always been a little sudductive. Before the end of August, though, this draw was a little more resistable.

Before the end of August, or before couch, I would have told you the centerpiece of this room was my computer. My wife probably would have said the TV. We had a couch in the room, we are American after all, but it was old. The material had held up, but had gotten rough. It covered cushions that had lost there fluff. Additionally, pieces of the wood and syringes were starting to go. You could get a nap out of it, but it always fell short.

I would imagine the perfect nap, like a scene from a tv show where the main character is subject t all manner of pranks because his sleep is so deep. In reality it would always fall short. Your neck would be sore, the cushions flatten, a zipper poke you in the face, it just couldn't measure up. It was like so much of life, where satisfaction is always tainted by not meeting the ideal.

This all changed when we got the new couch. It is a chocolate brown, micro-fiber sectional. It has a chaise lounge, and armless love seat and an overly long couch. The cushions are firm, with just the right amount of sink. They are smooth and cool to the touch. With your feet up on the chaise, a fleece blanket over you, and a single lamp casting dim light through the rom, it is hard to imagine anyone else you wuld like to be.

Today, after church, we had a potluck and a teacher's meeting. This meant we got home a little later then usual. I waited for my wife, emptied my pockets, and plugged in my phone, which had only one bar left. I too seemed to only have one bar left, so I brought my iPad to the couch and wrote about the only thing which seemed to be on my mind.

1 Comments:

At November 8, 2011 at 10:02 AM , Anonymous Shelly said...

Love the couch!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home