Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Faith, not proof

There was time, not that long ago, when I would try to argue with the atheist, evolutionist, miracle denying, Bible twisting crowd, if I was given an opportunity. This nearly always had no fruit to speak of. It was maddening. I'm normally pretty good at making my case, setting people back, systematically taking apart my opponent and then heading them my answer, with a twinkle and a smirk. But these talks never got to that point. In fact, I couldn't even construct a foundation to build on.

My process was systematic. If we disagree on the meaning of a verse, we dig back to the proper interpretation of the bible. If we disagree on that, we dig back to the nature of God's communication, then God, then the universe, etc. what I found was at some point every conversation resolved in a spot where I believed X and they believed Y and we could not be moved.

I would tell you it is because they had a closed mind, refused to see this new truth, the world around them. I would label them as blind and willfully ignorant. After all, they wouldn't even look at the obvious things I could point out to them. I suspect, they saw me the same way.

The reason is not as much of an illusion to me now, as it once was. It is because I was trying to present a proof on an item of faith. I learned this in working with a friend of mine who genuinely wants to know that his faith is in the right system, but has discovered that if you have proof, undeniable, shareable proof, you don't have faith. Also, it is most likely, that whatever proof you have is explainable in multiple ways, which are dependent on what you, at your core, believe.

All people have faith. Not faith in God, although for some that is the answer, but have that core view of the way the world works which shades the lens they see everything through. If you don't believe in God, every miracle claimed by the faithful, is just something not understood by science yet. If you believe in God, then every scientific discovery shows the genius and handiwork of God. The watch shows the watchmaker, even if those non-believer don't see it.

So, what is there to do? First, let's start with what you don't do. Don't engage in these kind of arguments. You can't prove what you believe and they can't prove anything to you. If you have no common foundation, you are two people pretending to debate, but are actually in your own echo chamber. Don't get upset that you can't make them see, it is not your responsibility and their belief is not reflection on you. If they are a friend, they won't reject you because of this. So, here is what you do, do. Remain interested in them, ask open questions, find out why they believe what they believe. Let them have less than perfect logic, because odds are, if they dug deep enough, you would too. Lastly, if you are a person of Faith (in God), as I am, pray. While you can not change what someone believes at their core, God can.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home