Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The power of Lists

I didn't show it, but I was tripping out this morning. My mind had been running since last night at seven when I completed my second review. I have seven I need to write by Wednesday. To do this I planned to do three yesterday, because of meetings today. I never did the third. I couldn't force myself. Instead I just worried about what I was going to do.

Has anyone notice how worry ruins everything? I set in front of my computer wondering from game to game, trying to be distracted. My mind would have none of it. Meetings for seven hours tomorrow. Five reviews left to do by Wednesday, probably two and a half hours apiece. Will need to write my blog, if just to clear my mind. I also don't want to miss writing my section of 2717. I'm committed to exercise for a half hour. I need to go to the church to set up the new computer. Oh yeah, you have a haircut at 4 and Shelly is going out tonight. No game was going to drown out this voice.

I should just talk it through with Shelly, but she is sick and trying to plan Thanksgiving n the absence of her mother. So, I don't.

Oh yeah, friends of ours, a family from church, may need our help today.

In my morning call to my accountability partner, James, we spend most of the time talking about everything else. I don't want to be whiny. Everyone has to juggle priorities, mine are not worse than his. I know everything will work out, I just don't feel that way in the moment.

I weasel it into the conversation by talking about this blog, in fact this very article you are reading. Of course, he is not as put off as I feared he would be. We talk about the article, but more importantly he let's me talk to me. He says what I have said to dozens of people, the advice I hear myself giving often, put it on a list and prioritize what needs to be done. Now, this advice is as basic as it gets. This is why I have said it so often and why it works so well. I want to defend my emotions. I don't because I'll on,y be arguing with myself and even AI don't like to argue with me.

When I walk through the doors at work I'm still worried, but I know the first step of the plan. I make the list. It is long, but workable. I assign my staff to go to the meetings and send me minutes. I make the exercise and book section optional. I'll do two reviews before I leave for my haircut. After the haircut, I'll make sure the kids are good before I head off to church. While I'm installing software, I'll write the first half of a review. It might not all work perfectly, but I feel more in control. Lists do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home