Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Theo and Stacy's

The little airport passed on the left of Kilgore Road. This was the section the turned a little to the right to line up with the expressway. As I always do when I pass an airport I drained my neck looking for plane taking off or landing. Aunt Nancy, who sat beside me in the tan colored car, did the same.

The car was hers, but I drove. Because of her seizures she could not drive anymore. I expect she would have let me drive anyway. We didn't take my red truck, which I loved, because the car was easier to get in and out of, the seats were comfortable and the car did needs to be started every once in a while. That hadn't be an issue while we had lived together. We were always going places.

If you went straight down Kilgore and made a right, you could get to our church. The Methodist church in the middle of the Millwood neighborhood. I volunteered with the youth group there, with Richard and Sheri. One of the places my Aunt introduced my to when I first came to the west side of the state. We weren't going there today.

We made a left to hop onto the little service drive that took you by the few business parked just off of airport property. This wasn't any of the paces we normally went, this was just the path through. We talked about her friend Pat, who worked with her at Upjohn, not knowing that I would work there myself. We talked about my work and school schedule for the next few days.

We made waited to make a left at the light, turning onto Portage Road. Then we made an immediate left into the parking lot. It wasn't a big fancy place. It was a stand alone building with a parking lot that never seemed to be very full. Inside we were met by the woman who owned the place. She knew us. She had known Aunt Nancy long before I ever arrived. This had been one of her places, now it was ours.

She seated us and asked us if we wanted menus today. We didn't always need one. The inside of the place was dark wood and vinyl uppolstered booths. Tables with chairs around them were in the middle of the floor, but we always took a booth. We could look out the window. We could stretch out and it gave Nancy a place to set her cane with out it being kicked over by a server. I ordered the Souvlaki and she got the Greek salad. We got menus, but ordered the usual.

Tomorrow I would go to school early and go to work immediately after. I wouldn't make it home until late. The day after that I would leave a little later, but I had picked up a couple hours doing stacks at Waldo library. Friday I had school and work again. So, tonight we would have to make the most of it.

As usual, Aunt Nancy paid the bill. I was a poor college student after all. We drove to K-Mart to pick up some prescriptions, then to Hardings for coffee and milk, a couple of the few food items we kept stocked. Then it was home to watch a little TV. I wrote a few letters to people who had written me, I included in them strange questions just to keep the communication going. Frankie, my Aunt's cat, watched with us.

Tomorrow would be a full day and my letters were done, so before it got too late, probably not long after Voyager ended, I headed to bed.

2 Comments:

At November 15, 2011 at 9:37 AM , Anonymous Shelly said...

i forgot that you always included a weird question in your letters! LOL It was an odd question or random Star Trek trivia---you always tried to stump me, didn't you?

 
At November 15, 2011 at 12:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved that part of the letter.

Megan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home