Sunday, November 27, 2011

Surface Light

A few mothers ago, I bought an app for my iPad called Star Walk. It is pretty sweet. By you location and the angle you hold the iPad it knows where stars and planets are from your position. I can hold my iPad in from of my and spin, lifting it up and down until I see the word Jupiter, and if the position and time is right I should be able to see the planet.

This has resulted in me spending a few nights outside, trying to find the various planets in the sky. This has also led to a bit of frustration. The problem is, as I stand in my cool, dark back yard and stare towards space, I just can't see that many stars. They have been swallowed by all the lights of our communities.

I remember being younger, I would drag my blue cardboard telescope into my parents back yard and I'd have a variety of. Right stars to choose from. I didn't know any of there names, but they were there. Now, I have access to all of their name, even can have the lines placed to make the constellations, but I can't see them. Plymouth and Livononia and hundreds of other little towns have grown too much.

In Sunday school today, I asked my class, where can you see God. One of the answers that really stood out to me, was when you can see all the stars. It stood out because, I remember being a kid and craning my neck to see the stars from the back seat of the car. I remember learning to use a telescope so they could seem closer. One of the things I like abut the farm is just the sheer. Umber of stars you can see there. My class was right, God is seen in the many pins of light.

I think about this as I look up into a large black sky. Star walk tells my there are stars there, but I can't see them. What does it mean of the light of God is swallowed by the lights of man? To be honest, I'm not sure. At least not for everyone else. For me, though, it means I'll keep trying to find better and better places to look up and even from my backyard, I'll strain my eyes, if it means I can catch a glimpse of one more star.

1 Comments:

At November 27, 2011 at 6:03 PM , Blogger Josh said...

I was thinking the same thing during Jeff's message today about all of the lights of man or false religions of this world growing so much that God's light not being visible. It's still there and it's brighter than any light that man can produce, yet it's not visible unless you separate yourself from the world.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home